Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 69 - (09/25) San Diego, CA ... day 1

We planned to travel CA-1 to its end at I-5 near San Juan Capistrano today.  We left Ventura and followed CA-1 along the coast through Oxnard and Malibu to Santa Monica.  Bike traffic was very heavy, so we gave up on the plan at Santa Monica and switched to I-10 rather than risk an accident.. 


We visited with Nick Witchey and his family in the afternoon.  Nick is from Shelby and a big part of our family story.  We were able to visit Nick and his wife Masami in Portland when their first child Luna was born ... and we got to meet their second daughter Rei for the first time today.  We had a great time reminiscing and went to dinner at Mandarin Terrace.
Dick, Nick, Carol, Masami
Rei, Luna
After dinner at Mandarin Terrace
Luna - age 7
Rei - age 2 1/2
The day was beautiful and sunny.  The temperature reached 101 degrees in Laguna Hills at 3pm.


The trip to San Diego was familiar to Dick, but a bit stressful.  We left the Witchey's after 7pm ... it was dark.  We arrived at a nice campground in La Mesa at 9pm ... and it was still dark.  Go figure.


Map Tracks
Start:  Ventura Beach RV Resort - Ventura, CA
South in CA-1 to I-10 at Santa Monica
East on I-10 to I-5
South on I-5 to Alicia Parkway (Laguna Hills)
South on I-5 from Laguna Hills to I-8 at San Diego
East on I-8 to 30th Street in La Mesa
End:  197 miles @ San Diego RV Resort - La Mesa, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment